We are currently accepting Teacher Substitute applications for Douglas County school districts! All licensed substitutes working in Douglas County schools will be hired, scheduled, and paid through Douglas ESD.
How do I become a substitute teacher?
- If you have a teaching license with TSPC, follow this process to get on the sub list with Douglas ESD.
- If you have an out-of-state teaching license, here are instructions on obtaining your license in Oregon and getting on the sub list with Douglas ESD.
- If you do NOT have an education degree or license, you can still be a Substitute Teacher with a Restricted Substitute Teaching License! You must:
a. Be 18 years of age or older, and hold a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution or the approved foreign equivalent.
b. Apply for a license with the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC).
Here are the detailed instructions to becoming a Restricted Substitute Teacher and getting on the sub list with Douglas ESD.
Where can I substitute? Douglas ESD provides Licensed Substitute Teaching services for all of our component school districts. These districts include Yoncalla, North Douglas, Elkton, Oakland, Sutherlin, Roseburg, Glide, Winston/Dillard, Camas, South Umpqua, Riddle, Days Creek, and Glendale.
How much are substitute teachers paid? Douglas ESD pays substitutes based on the approved daily rate as defined in Oregon Revised Statute 342.610. For licensed substitutes that are Oregon PERS eligible, Douglas ESD will deduct the 6% pickup from each employee check. Payday will be the 15th of each month for all work done the previous month. There are no time cards to fill out as the online Absence Management System (formerly AESOP) will be used to record all hours worked. Daily Rate for Douglas County Teacher Substitutes for the 2019-20 School Year:
- $187.92 for districts with a class schedule based on a 5-day a week (Long Term Daily Rate: $222.56)
- $211.44 for districts with a class schedule based on a 4-day a week (Long Term Daily Rate: $250.40)
How long is the Restricted Substitute License valid? It will be valid for the time specified on the license. Typically, it is valid for the first school year you work. The first license is for one year and subsequent licenses for three years if you maintain the same district sponsor and renew your license before it expires. Instructions will accompany the license once it is issued and will explain exactly what you must complete to qualify for renewal of the license.
How long is the process to become a Teacher Substitute? From start to finish, it could take approximately 2 to 4 months for TSPC to issue your license. However, you do not need to have your license issued to begin working as a sub if you have completed all the required items and you are just waiting for TSPC to issue the license.
Where do I get information about the Teachers Standards Practice Commission (TSPC)?
How can I learn more about substitute teachers hired by Douglas ESD?
- Substitute Teacher Handbook
- How and What We Pay
- Commonly Asked Questions
- Forms & Other Info for Substitutes
- Classroom Observation Form
Do you have more questions? Contact sub services:
Here are the things you need to do to remain an active sub:
- Complete the annual required paperwork through Douglas ESD Safe Schools within 45 days after it becomes available.
- Pick up ID/Badge prior to working the first assignment if possible but not necessary.
- Report any personal changes such as an address, email or phone number to sub-services.
- If you need to change deductions, please update your W4. If you have payroll questions, contact Corrie Peachey-Briggs at (541) 957-4803 or Corrie.Peachey-Briggsdouglasesd.k12.or.us
- Keep availability and substitute locations current. If you know there are days you cannot sub, you must add a non-work day. If you no longer want to sub for certain districts, contact substitute services.
- Keep license current. Make sure you renew your license prior to the expiration date.
e-licensing system: http://www.oregon.gov/tspc/Pages/Forms_and_Instruct.aspx
- Annual Substitute Activation Fee: There is a required $10.00 Annual Substitute Activation fee. There is no additional cost for your I.D. badge and lanyard. Payroll deducts the amount from your paycheck so there is no need to send payment. Note: First-time subs pay $20.00.
Substitutes that are Not Returning
Moving on? If you can no longer sub, please email sub-services with the subject line: "No Longer Subbing" to ensure you no longer get calls or notices: Connie.Rosasdouglasesd.k12.or.us Please add at least two weeks of NonWork Days following the last day you can work to provide time to process your removal.