SPECIAL EDUCATION ENGLISH TEACHER
PHOENIX CHARTER SCHOOL
Phoenix School is recruiting a motivated English Language Arts Teacher who loves to teach youth through active student-centered instruction, develop skilled learners, and takes pride and satisfaction in student growth. The primary focus is the establishment of a positive learning environment that promotes a high level of achievement for all students while considering the background and developmental level of the individual student.
This is a special opportunity for the candidate who receives a deep sense of fulfillment and compassion in helping students who, due to circumstances frequently beyond their control, need structure, mentoring, and emotional encouragement to succeed. The position provides an opportunity for the candidate who desires to develop meaningful learning opportunities to prepare youth to become caring, committed, productive citizens.
Opening: Full-Time, 2023-2024 School Year
Assignment: Phoenix Charter School faculty positions are full-time, salaried positions. This position is eight hours each school day, generally scheduled between 7:30 AM and 3:30 PM and follows the adopted Roseburg Public Schools calendar for Roseburg High School.
Compensation: $27.08 to $44.40 hourly rate DOE & education level
$40,504.74 to $66,411.93 per annum DOE based on 187-day contract
(22-23 contract annum prorated based on number of days remaining in the school year)
Benefits: PERS Retirement Plan (at your level)
PERS Employee Contribution (employer paid)
Individual Health Insurance + Health Savings Account (employer paid)*
Individual Dental Insurance (employer paid)*
Individual Accidental and Life Insurance Coverage (employer paid)*
7 Sick + 2 Personal leave days for remainder of school year
*Subject to a 30-day enrollment period at beginning of following month
- Current, renewable Oregon TSPC Teaching License in Special Education
- Must have a desire to work with high school students in a professional manner and demeanor
- Ability to work independently at times, show initiative, and communicate
- Ability to successfully pass a drug test (random or otherwise) conducted by employer
- Perform in a professional manner while working with partnering organizations
- U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident
- Must successfully pass a fingerprint criminal history background check
- Regular and reliable attendance
- Ability to communicate fluently verbally and in writing in English
- A valid driver’s license, clean driving record and ability to provide documentation
- Successful experience or related experience teaching or working with at-risk youth
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Meet the standards of Competent and Ethical Performance as outlined in Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR 541-020-000 to 584-020-0045)
- Adapts/modifies transition curriculum and activities
- Collaboratively leads functional assessments and develops Behavior Support Plans with student centered involvement
- Promote high levels of achievement in relation to individual student abilities
- Implements individual plans (IEP/504/TAG/etc.)
- Focuses on making learning visible through effective student engagement
- Provides maximum participation for all students; differentiates as needed to ensure all students experience success
- Implements Oregon Core Standards with rigor, purpose, and planning
- Develops engaging and effective lesson plans and supplementary materials
- Evaluates academic and social growth of students and keeps appropriate records to include report cards, attendance records, checklists, and other recordkeeping activities as appropriate by level
- Facilitates student’s physical, cognitive and social and emotional learning through lessons designed to sequentially develop skills appropriate to their ability and confidence levels
- Creatively and collaboratively problem solve in their daily work with clients, families, and coworkers
- Maintains accurate, complete, and confidential records as required by law, district policy and administrative regulations
- Function effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team and provide communication within the team to allow for continuity of care
- Proficiency in the usage of database software, internet software, and email
- Fulfills other related duties as assigned or assumed
Marginal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designs instruction, monitors and provides feedback for Instructional Assistants and be available for
problem solving relating to classroom instruction
- Seek best practices in the education and behavioral health realm to assist organization in expanding its trauma-informed practices and restorative justice aspects
Phoenix Charter High School:
Established in 2005, Phoenix Charter is an award-winning school serving an enrollment of 190 at-risk students, grades 8-12. Our school has a designed facility sited on a picturesque twelve-acre campus in east Roseburg, OR. We have outstanding community support and are recognized regionally for our innovative approach. Phoenix Charter School is provided by the Phoenix School of Roseburg, a private non-profit youth development organization founded in 1981.
Our educational model emphasizes a developmental and project-based learning approach unique to our students:
- Developmental – Some students may not possess social or academic skills needed to benefit from regular high school classroom instruction, positively identify as a student, or possess the confidence of a capable learner. Students will learn our school culture, how to function as capable students, and how to be more capable, engaged learners. This work will lay a foundation for students to continue successful academic engagement in their high school career and beyond.
- Targeted Curriculum & Instruction – Students successfully engage in coursework and community or school based learn, serve, and earn opportunities that develop their pathway to college and careers. The teacher has academic freedom to design learning and to select curriculum materials most appropriate for students to demonstrate Oregon required learning standards.
- Early College – Designed to help students prepare for and make the transition to Umpqua Community College. Students build their college experience through on-line community college courses and then transition to on-campus community college coursework to complete final high school credits and to prepare them for a successful college transition.
- Pathways – In addition to academic instructional assignments, each teacher provides their student cohort with academic advisement, social-emotional skill development, and Pathways to college and career curriculum (first period).
Phoenix is a great school for teachers seeking to make a difference. Our compensation package is comparable to other small, rural schools. Class sizes are small (average 20 students) and teacher creativity is supported in the spirit of improving our student’s lives and academic achievements. Many staff members have a long history working at Phoenix and know that they make a difference and are appreciated by students, their peers, our board, and the community.
Roseburg is the service center of rural Douglas County located on I-5 just over an hour south of Eugene and situated just over an hour from the Cascade Mountains to the East, the Oregon Coast to the West, and Rogue River/Southern Oregon to the south. For those who love outdoor recreation and a great place to raise children, Roseburg has much to offer.
Phoenix Charter School is a subsidiary corporation of Phoenix School of Roseburg, a private, non-profit charitable organization. Information is available at our website at www.roseburgphoenix.com
The physical demands describer here is representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions, duties, and responsibilities of this job.
- Vision abilities: close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Regularly required to sit for 1-3 hours; stand/walk/move around for 6-8 hours; drive 1-3 hours.
- Regularly required to talk and hear.
- Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Regularly lift, move or carry up to 25 pounds; occasionally lift, move or carry up to 50 pounds.
- Frequently required to stand or walk (occasionally on an uneven surface), reach with the hands and arms, stoop, and/or bend.
While performing the duties of the position, the employee works with standard office and/or instructional equipment with moving mechanical parts.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment could be low to moderate. The employee’s work is most frequently indoors, but occasionally requires going outdoors in the weather to pass from building to building and drive from community sites.
NOTE: This is not necessarily an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, functions, or working conditions associated with the job. This job description is not a contract of employment or a promise or guarantee of any specific terms or conditions of employment. Phoenix School of Roseburg may add to, modify, or delete any aspect of this (or the position) at any time as it deems advisable.
(541) 673-3036 x1116
Phoenix Charter School
3131 NE Diamond Lake Blvd.
Begin the application process by clicking the “Apply” button in the upper right of this announcement. (If you are not viewing this via Applicant Tracking (Applitrack), click HERE.
1. The school will provide timely notification to candidates whether they are selected for an interview.
2. After an initial round of applicants are interviewed, the position will be offered or remain open until filled.
We look forward to your application and thank you, in advance, for your interest in Phoenix School of Roseburg.
To apply for this job please visit www.applitrack.com.