Sawyer Instructor Crew Lead
Oregon Conservation Corps
Non-Discrimination Notice: Phoenix School of Roseburg does not discriminate against students, board members, staff members, volunteers, or program participants on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. race, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, marital status, national origin, political affiliation or mental or physical handicap.
Position Location: All Oregon Conservation Corps staff will be required to report daily to the Phoenix School campus (3131 N.E. Diamond Lake Boulevard Roseburg, Oregon 97470), this twelve-acre campus is located on the urban growth boundary of Roseburg, a city (population 21,000) located along Interstate 5, ninety minutes equidistance to the Oregon Coast to the west and the Oregon’s high Cascades to the east. Project sites generally vary throughout the Umpqua Basin on various private lands.
Position Summary: This temporary seasonal position is field based and will be working in the outdoors primarily. Applicants will be leading a crew of young adults conducting fuels reduction treatments to Douglas Forest Protection Association’s specifications. Applicants should have a strong interest in ecological restoration, forest management, biodiversity conservation, and/or stewardship of the land. Forest Technician crews’ work activities are focused on assisting private landowners with fuels reduction in the wildland urban interface. Work sites will be defined by our partners in the State Fire Marshal’s office and the Douglas Forest Protective Association. All employees hired for temporary training positions are exempt from state unemployment insurance.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Ability to work independently at times, show initiative, and communicate.
- Conduct themselves in a professional manner while working with partnering organizations.
- Ability to successfully pass a drug test.
- U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident.
- A valid drivers license with clean driving record.
- Be able to pass a background check.
- Minimum of a B Level Sawyer certification or ability to quickly obtain a B certification.
- Strong Leadership Skills.
- Ability to train crew members on proper chainsaw safety, use, and maintenance.
- Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience working outdoors.
- Experience using hand tools and various mechanized tools.
- Ability to follow prescriptions set by DFPA.
- CPR/ First Aid Certified or ability to quickly obtain certification.
- Ability to delegate tasks to subordinates.
- May require bending, color identification, crawling, gripping with hands and fingers, hearing alarms and voice conversation, keyboarding, kneeling, occasionally lifting up to 60 pounds, operating passenger vehicles, towing trailers, pulling, pushing, reaching, running, shoveling/digging, sitting, standing, standing long periods, walking, walking on rough terrain; exposure to dampness, bee stings, chemicals, dust or pollen, epoxy chemicals, fumes, intense light, noxious odors, outside temperature extremes, poison oak, smoke, sun, noisy areas; wearing ear plugs/muffs, hard hats, plastic gloves, rubber boots, and safety glasses; working at heights, confined or crowded or remote areas, ladders, electricity; working shifts; working with rotating machinery and solvents, grease, oils, inks.
- Crew members are responsible for arranging their own transportation to Phoenix Charter School. Transportation to daily work sites will be provided by the sawyer instructors and assistant crew leaders.
- Opportunity to further experience in the field of natural resources.
- Professional development, trainings, and networking opportunities.
- Earn $20.25 to $27.56 + DOE per hour
Mandatory Orientation: TBA
Type of position: 36-40 hours weekly (work days TBD)
Position Dates: TBA, Work is through the wet months until early summer when fire restrictions are imposed.
Length of Service Term: Maximum of 480 hours per term. Can sign up for multiple terms.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE POSITION?
Phoenix Charter School
3131 NE Diamond Lake Blvd.
Begin the application process by clicking the “Apply” button in the upper right of this announcement. (If you are not viewing this via Applicant Tracking (Applitrack), click HERE.
1. The school will provide timely notification to candidates whether they are selected for an interview.
2. After an initial round of applicants are interviewed, the position will be offered or remain open until filled.
We look forward to your application and thank you, in advance, for your interest in Phoenix School of Roseburg.
To apply for this job please visit www.applitrack.com.