Part-Time Kitchen Assistant Phoenix School of Roseburg
Phoenix School is recruiting a Kitchen Assistant to work as part of our food services team under the supervision of the Food Services Coordinator. The employee would independently engage in food preparation in a school kitchen in a sanitary and orderly manner and perform the related work as required.
The site has the independent production and service of food for the single site. Our kitchen is serving over 200 meals per day for student meal service. The complexity of the work may not be limited to the application of readily understood rules, regulations and procedures. Application of independent judgement is required on standard work procedures. Responsibilities include regular contact with students, staff, and the public.
Assignment: 25 hours per week, scheduled between the hours of 6:00am and 11:30am, Monday through Friday.
Wage: $14.20 to $19.03 per hour (DOE)
Benefits: Individual Accident and Life Insurance Coverage (employer paid)*
4 Sick + 1 Personal leave days
• Ability to demonstrate an understanding and importance of customer service
• Current Oregon Food Handlers card is required or must be obtained within 15 days
• Completion of Safe Schools and associated meal service trainings (available on-site)
• Must have a desire to work with high school students in a professional manner and demeanor
• Ability to work independently at times and show initiative on team projects
• Perform in a professional manner while working with partnering organizations
• Ability to communicate in non-technical terms with a diverse population of staff and students
• Regular and reliable attendance
• Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent
• Ability to successfully pass a drug test (random or otherwise)
• U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident
• Must successfully pass a criminal history background check and fingerprint screening
• Documented experience in quantity food preparation, kitchen maintenance, and food service supervision
• Prior experience working within a USDA National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• A valid driver’s license, clean driving record and ability to provide documentation
• 21 years of age or older to meet driving insurance requirement
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Efficient food production, transporting and serving techniques
• Performs cleaning and dishwashing and other limited skilled duties in a kitchen
• Basic safety and sanitation procedures or requirements
• Operate to meet quality product standards concerning service and sanitation control
• Prepare a quality product in large quantity in an efficient and orderly manner
• Principles and procedures of food handling and storage
• Effectively organize the workflow independently with minimal supervision
• Operation, cleaning and caring for utensils and institutional food service equipment
• Complete routine addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and percentages and fraction computations with ease and accuracy
• Weighing and measuring of ingredients for preparing food in large quantities
• Operate all types of food service equipment, including but not limited to: gas convection ovens, gas stoves, deep fryers, meat slicers, proofers, and mixers
• Adjust recipes to meet needs and maintain correct portion control
Marginal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervise and train youth personnel (high-school students and paid youth interns) in food production and service
• Work alongside Vocational Rehabilitation Volunteer Trainees in food production and service
• May be responsible for preparing either baked products, main entree or other food items as assigned.
• Assists in setting up the line and serving food. May be responsible for evaluating meals at point of service,
collecting meal cards or recording meals on a meal-counting computer.
• Assists in the general cleaning of the kitchen
• Assumes charge of the lunchroom and kitchen in the absence of manager, as designated by the supervisor
• Assists in the serving, evaluation of trays at point of service, the collection of meal cards or the operation of a meal- counting computer
• Attends staff meetings and/or in-service trainings as needed
• Fulfills other related duties as assigned by supervisor
Physical Requirements: The physical demands describer here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions, duties, and responsibilities of this job.
• Vision abilities: close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
• Regularly required to sit for 1-3 hours; stand/walk/move around for 6-8 hours;
• Regularly required to talk and hear
• Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls
• Regularly lift, move or carry up to 25 pounds; occasionally lift, move or carry up to 50 pounds
• Frequently required to stand or walk (occasionally on an uneven surface), reach with the hands and arms, stoop, and/or bend
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function. The noise level in the work environment could be low to moderate. Employees are working in hot environment with kitchen equipment, hot water, steam, and heated cooking equipment. The employee’s work is most frequently indoors, but occasionally requires going outdoors in the weather to pass from building to building and drive from community sites. NOTE: Position description is subject to change. This is not necessarily an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, functions, or working conditions associated with the job. This job description is not a contract of employment or a promise or guarantee of any specific terms or conditions of employment. Phoenix School of Roseburg may add to, modify, or delete any aspect of this (or the position) at any time as it deems advisable.
(541) 673-3036 x1116
Phoenix Charter School
3131 NE Diamond Lake Blvd.
Begin the application process by clicking the “Apply” button in the upper right of this announcement. (If you are not viewing this via Applicant Tracking (Applitrack), click HERE.
1. The school will provide timely notification to candidates whether they are selected for an interview.
2. After an initial round of applicants are interviewed, the position will be offered or remain open until filled.
We look forward to your application and thank you, in advance, for your interest in Phoenix School of Roseburg.
To apply for this job please visit www.applitrack.com.