Douglas County School Districts
2020-2021 School Year
We are currently accepting applications for some of our Douglas County school districts in various locations.
Douglas ESD celebrates and supports employees of color. As we strive to become one of the most ethnically and racially diverse professional organizations in Southwest Oregon, persons of color and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Douglas ESD provides substitute teaching services for all of our component school districts. Those districts include: Yoncalla, North Douglas, Elkton, Oakland, Sutherlin, Roseburg, Glide, Winston/Dillard, Camas, South Umpqua, Riddle, Days Creek and Glendale. All licensed substitutes working in Douglas County schools will be hired, scheduled, and paid through Douglas ESD.
Substitute Teachers perform the instructional and classroom management processes for absent teachers who are absent for a day or longer periods of time. Their duties include taking attendance, explaining homework classroom management, and maintaining classroom cleanliness. Provide and implement learning activities and objectives for each child served, including appropriate interaction with staff and families filling in for the regular teacher.
Sample Substitute Teacher Responsibilities and duties include:
- Maintain you work schedule and availability. That includes adding non-work day when you cannot sub throughout the morning.
- Arrive to work on time and ready to perform duties as outlined.
- Stay at the assignment for the entire scheduled time.
- Report to the office upon your arrival at the building and again, prior to leaving for the day.
- Follow the lesson plans left by the teacher. If you feel unable to do this, contact the principal for direction on an acceptable alternative plan.
- Adhere to the curriculum and lesson plans assigned by the regular teacher.
- Follow procedures and achieve lesson goals.
- Assign and explain homework.
- Oversee students during all activities in doors and outside.
- Comply with all school regulations and policies at all times.
- Take attendance and document daily notes.
- Ensure classroom and work is kept clean and orderly.
- Oversee the normal classroom rhythms and activities.
- Compile a report for the teacher for when he/she returns.
A more detailed description of duties, responsibilities and expectations is listed in the Substitute Handbook.
Substitute Teachers must have a current, valid Oregon teaching license. If you do NOT have an education degree or license, you can still be a Substitute Teacher with a Restricted Substitute Teaching License You must:
- Be 18 years of age or older, and hold a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution or the approved foreign equivalent.
- Apply for a license with the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC).
To get more information about becoming a substitute teacher and the process, please visit: https://douglasesd.k12.or.us/substitutes and review the information prior to applying.
Douglas ESD pays substitutes based on the approved daily rate as defined in Oregon Revised Statute 342.610. For licensed substitutes that are Oregon PERS eligible, Douglas ESD will deduct the 6% pickup from each employee check. Payday will be the 15th of each month for all work done the previous month. There are no time cards to fill out as the online Absence Management System (formerly AESOP) will be used to record all hours worked. Daily Rate for Douglas County Teacher Substitutes for the 2019-20 School Year:
- $187.92 for districts with a class schedule based on a 5-day a week (Long Term Daily Rate: $222.56)
- $211.44 for districts with a class schedule based on a 4-day a week (Long Term Daily Rate: $250.40)
TO APPLY: Begin the application process by clicking the “Apply” button in the upper right of this announcement. (If you are not viewing this via Applicant Tracking (Applitrack), click HERE
Full job description is attached in Applitrack
A background check will be conducted and must successfully clear prior to employment.
Douglas ESD is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversity and valuing the cultural, educational, and life experience of each student and employee, as well as equitable outcomes for all students.
Douglas ESD policy provides veterans and disable veterans with preference as required by law.